T-Mobile and Microsoft have announced the MDA IV - the first Windows Mobile-based 3G device.
In addition, a messaging solution has been launched in Germany which packages together a scalable solution for businesses that want to empower their employees with a familiar and fully functional mobile connection to their Outlook e-mail (including attachments), calendar and contacts, while on the move.
This messaging solution will be offered together with a range of Windows Mobile based devices (MDAs and SDA smartphones).
The T-Mobile MDA IV, the first 3G Windows Mobile based Pocket PC Phone Edition device, just 100 centimeters squared, is the latest example of current innovation on the Windows Mobile software platform.
A compelling device for business customers, the MDA IV offers access to Pocket Outlook, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explorer and a choice of GPRS, UMTS and W-LAN connectivity options.
Availability is expected in summer 2005.
Pricing details will be available upon launch.
Additional device specifications include:
- PIM Synchronisation with Microsoft Outlook (calendar, contacts, email)
- Access to other familiar applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Internet Explorer
- Camera and video conferencing capabilities via two integrated cameras
- GPRS, UMTS and W-LAN connectivity - Three-band device supporting GSM 900,1800 and 1900 megahertz networks
- Built-in QWERTY keyboard
- VGA touch screen
- 520 Megahertz-Intel-Processor
The MDA messaging solution is targeted towards any business that wants to empower its employees with a familiar and fully functional mobile connection to their Outlook e-mail (including attachments), calendar and contacts, while on the move.
Information can be synchronized over the air on Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC Phone enabled devices, such as the MDA-models or SDA Smartphone all available from T-Mobile.
Specifically this includes:
- A T-Mobile network tariff
- Windows Mobile based devices (MDA III and/or SDA smartphones)
- IT consultancy (certified T-Mobile/Microsoft partners) to integrate the solution into an existing Exchange Server 2003 infrastructure
- Special upgrade packages to Exchange Server 2003 for those not running this version of the platform.