HomeNewsIHS Towers clinches deal to build 6,000 telco masts across Egypt in...

    IHS Towers clinches deal to build 6,000 telco masts across Egypt in three years


    Hailed as one of the most exciting developments in Egyptian comms it’s a license to build massive infrastructure

    Egypt Digital Company for Investment (EDCI ), the top shareholder in Egypt Towers for Technology Services Company, has signed an agreement with IHS Towers to obtain a licence from the National Telecom Regulatory Authority (NTRA) to erect and lease telecom towers, says a report in Developing Telecoms. IHS Towers is one of the largest independent owners, operators, and developers of shared telecommunications infrastructure in the world.

    From hieroglyphs to hyper scaling 

    IHS Towers will own 80 per cent of IHS Telecom Towers Egypt and Egypt Digital Company for Investment will own the remaining 20 per cent. The new consortium is in the process of becoming licensed by NTRA, with the formalities expectd to complete this week. The Egyptian Ministry of Communications has said that the partnership plan is to construct 6,000 licensed wireless communication towers in the next three years and IHS Towers offers the best hope for execution of this ambitious scheme. The license also allows for the acquisition of wireless telco towers owned by third parties and their requisition for the cause of providing the services specified by the license.

    Tower of strength added to backbone

    IHS Towers is committed to delivering critical telco infrastructure to the emerging markets of Africa, said IHS Towers CEO Sam Darwish. “This partnership is an exciting development [and] I am confident [we can] support the rapidly developing Egyptian telco market.” Partnering with EDCI will allow IHS to exploit its ‘extensive market knowledge’ and capitalise on its inventive operating skills in order to create an Egyptian feast of features, options and solutions for telecoms users, according to Darwish.